Sunday, January 21, 2007

Let's whip out the notebook

I missed my personal Friday deadline to write in this space. I write enough email in a week that sometimes I just don't feel like it. Though you would think that since I deal with enough retardedness in my daily life that I'd be writing a novella every nite. Be that as it may, I do keep notes on the stoopidness that passes in front of my eyes and across my windshield. Here are some of the things I've noticed as of late.

Remember "Rocky"? No no no, not some old clod with bad plastic surgery and wearing more make-up than a coked up Sharon Stone. I'm talking the 1976 "Rocky". It’s a good story about work ethic, family, overcoming the odds, etc. Remember the music? Who the hell can't remember "Eye of the Tiger"? I can still hear it in my head. Fuckin-A :)

Now I can't say I've seen the last installment of this overblown series of crap, but the internets have shown me enough that 30 years of culture evolution has completely messed with soundtracks. Why is it after 30 years that any movie that deals with sports in ANY manner has to have some sort of rap music in it? (I'm hoping "We are Marshall" doesn't, but won't know for months as I do NOT go to the movies) And before you say, hey Groove, XXXX doesn't have any rap in it, that's not my point.

Why does "Rocky Balboa" have to have rap in it? Don't get me wrong, I like to listen to Body Count's "Cop Killer" every now and again. Yeah I bought it when I was a senior in high-school and one track is on a couple of my homemade CDs in the conveyance. Again, not the point. Why is rap music used to convey emotion in sports movies? Oh, did you see the elephant? If you don't see it, I'm not going to point it out.

Let's stick with the sports theme. Do you watch football? Ever play football? I'm not talking about in the park. I'm talking suiting up and putting on a helmet. OK the girls probably didn't. So boys remember way back if you happened to play pop-warner style football that if you didn't have your chinstrap strapped it was a PENALTY? I don't have an issue with that. Let's see, the opposing players want to hurt me. I think I'll strap this bad boy up. Now think about the larger than life violent criminals now playing NFL ball. If you watch alot of football like I do, you'll have noticed the amount of helmets that come flying off week to week. What the fuck? Are these idiots too stupid to snap all the goddamn buckles on their helmet? Duh..... It just cracks me up to see all these wide receivers and star quarterbacks with only 1/2 their gear in check. You know damn well they do it on purpose. Yes, Mr. Barkley you're right and you are not a role model. I just find it very interesting that these knuckle heads are just goading chance to give them a life ending coma.

Have you ever met someone who played their college mascot? I've not met anyone who has. Maybe it has to with the fact that the business I'm in doesn't have boatloads, or zero, communication or English majors nor lots of Greek system folks. And before anyone who knows me chimes in, I'm NOT an English major...... Maybe everyone I work with was too busy studying to waste time on cheerleaders and public events. Which begs the question how does being a mascot shape you for adulthood? I'm pretty sure they're the cheery-type, dipshit, assistant manager at Staples who doesn't know USB from BASF let alone where they keep the ink refills.

I'll finish up today with another elephant in the room. I saw a commercial today for Nike. This has nothing to do with Nike, but I'll be honest, their add campaigns don't sway me in the least and I certainly won't pay more than $40 for tennis shoes. Since it's basketball season the commercial included today's NBA stars walking together like war veterans in silk warm ups across the tarmac. There were 10 players. Ya know, so they could play 5 on 5. The point is this, guess how many white boys there were? One. Steve Nash is now the poster boy/token white guy in the NBA...and he's Canadian....what does that say about the state of basketball in America? Sad really. I don't even watch it when it's in HiDef.

I'll have to collect my thoughts some more before I talk about tolerating intolerance. There is no need to talk about American Idol's trip to Seattle. It spoke for itself :(

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Rap music? Notsomuch! The elephants and AI Seattle fall into the same damn STOOPID category. Hell! Throw the rap shit in there too.

1/22/07, 6:48 AM  
Blogger Jenn from WA said...

Groove - be careful what you wish for...they may put Eye of the Tiger to a Rap beat...

1/23/07, 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home